Friday, September 16, 2011

What I learned from WETV's Downsized

I am not a huge TV fan. However, on ocassion, when I'm not super busy doing something more worthwhile, I do enjoy a few shows that offer a bit in the way of financial education - ie, 'Til Debt Do Us Part, Princess, Biz Kids, ahem-clears throat, The Real Housewives (excluding New Jersey, of course), etc. Today I spend some time catching up on the Downsized series on WE. I had the first 5 episodes of the new season recorded and I needed to get through them - in order - because that's how I am.

Downsized premiered last year. The shows premise is basically The Brady Bunch hits hard times when the economy tanked. I would probably enjoy the show more if the family were more likable/admirable. I think the dad is pretty awesome. He is a strong, affectionate, articulate hardworker; and, he seems to have a vision for his family. The mom has a generous spirit and strong caregiving energy. She is a lower elementary school teacher and really seems to enjoy teaching. The kids are not my favorite part of the show. Actually, the show might actually be better without them being allowed to speak on the show. But, that's neither here nor there.

One of my take aways from the show (and I have several) is the concept of the a couple having a Financial Advisor. It's crazy that I never thought about it before. Sure, we think about having a Spiritual Advisor (clergyman), or Fitness Advisor (coach/personal trainers), or even a Family/Couples Therapist. How many families could have avoided being so hard hit by the recent collapse had they not had some clear objective advice on whether to or options on how to fund things like buy a house, rental properties, new car, boarding school, specialty camps, college, Staying Home to Raise One's Own Children, cosmetic surgery, etc.

That's brilliant!  I love it! A Financial Advisor!

No comments:

Post a Comment