Thursday, September 8, 2011

I'm Humming Along to Channing's Symphony

Today is the day we begin blogging. I've been reading and lurking for YEARS at several really fantastic blogs which made my entry into this venue a little daunting. Still, here I am, enjoying lovely and interesting things whenever I can and in doing so I've often come across things I'd love to share. If you're like me, you have a grand appreciation of pretty, elegant, (high) quality, functional, interesting, delicious, conscientious, fun, funny and inspirational things - particularly things that have stood the test of time. Oh, and you enjoy reading all kinds of things and lifelong learning. Come back later and I'll show you some things that have made an impression on me.

Let's conclude with this wonderful quote from a lesser known associate of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau whose name is William Channing. I discovered it recently by one of my favorite bloggers, LPC, at Privilege. The theme of the piece is at the core of my personal journey:

To live content with small means;
To seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion,
To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich;
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly,
To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart,
To bear all cheerfully,
To all bravely await occasions,
Hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.


Inhale, exhale, reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment