Monday, September 12, 2011

INTJ - At Home, In Law, In Life

About 15 years ago, the company for which I worked bought a Meyers-Brigg (MBTI) program. Long story short - my responses indicated that I fall solidly in the Introversion-Intuititve-Thinking-Judging (INTJ) camp. At that time, I was very comfortable with the results and could even understand better about my approach to working effectively in that environment.


This morning I took a Jung-MeyersBrigss Assessment that is available on-line at Humanetrics.com. I was thinking that the lifechanges experiences spent since then have certainly made me more extroverted and more perceiving, as well. However, what I learned is that after 15 years, a move to a new coast, two babies that are three years apart, the transition from Corporate America management team member to Homemaker, and a bevy of other changes, I remain - INTJ. (Although, I must mention that my T is quite low and has likely moved more in the direction fo F. Not sure if that's a bad thing.)  I thought that was weird. I mean, I feel different - more mature, more grounded, more holistic, more authentic, much more open than I did at that time.


Then, I thought (at we INTJers tend to do) about my approach to raising our children and to homemaking. I know that it is rather different that the way many people I seem to view it. I was always perplexed when someone might pose the infamous "What do you do all day?" question. I would wonder if the person asking could really be that lazy (Are you kidding me? There are always matters that require attention in your domain), ignorant (How do you not know that there are hundreds of ways that you could make real improvements to your family's well-being and the time it could take to make things significantly better?), or boring (Do you really have no hobbies or interests? Is there nothing and no one that you want to  learn about?).


Now it makes sense. It's not their fault. I really am uncommon - statistically speaking - when it comes to my applying the INTJ's modus operandi to husbandkeeping, homemaking and parenting.

Another very amazing and interesting discovery at the Humetrics site is where it suggests two career fields that would suit me as an INTJ - Lawyer and Librarian. The astounding thing is that these two fields are indeed at the tip top on my list of what-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up, so to speak. The Librarian part comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me as a bibliophile. The surprise to some might be to know that, if I had the resources, I would be in Law School right now yesterday!
law school equality scale
Let me clarify that the "Lawyer" that I have in mind for me is one who has studied the law, acquired expertise/certification and now advises clients as well as composing and reviewing contracts. I am NOT thinking of an "Attorney" or a litigator who now represents clients in court or in front of a judge trying to argue, persuade, defend and negotiate sentences. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't suit me.

The beauty part of earning a JD is that I would totally benefit from it personally - as would my family. I could impart some of my legal wisdom to my sons as well - particularly in the area of contracts for goods and services. Imagine rarely, if ever, having to pay for legal advice again. I'm thinking I could barter services, too. Also, it is something I could make a living at until I die. Really. I have to think of my future.

I wonder if it's common for the typology to stick for life. I wonder if people - particularly mothers - with JDs who are/were unhappily practicing law happened to be types other than INTJ. I wonder if it's really too late for me to attend Law School. I wonder if aquiring a Juris Doctorate via an on-line university is as bad an idea as it sounds. I wonder if I could carve out a few hours a day, most days for the next 3 years to acheive that goal. Of course, I could. I'd just have to re-prioritize a bit.

So, do INTJs really make good lawyers? Or do they just make good Law Students? Also, would it be impossible to do it all well?  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment