Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I am a Couponer

Before a month ago, the only coupons I ever used were the occasional Lord & Taylor 25% off coupons that come in the Washington Post at the end of seasons or coupons for deals at food places that my children would get as reward through the summer reading programs at the Public Library. But, after watching several episodes of TLC's Extreme Couponing, talking with couponing moms whilst volunteering at the school IRL, talking with my sisters and reading thekrazycouponlady, I took the plunge and have been couponing for the last few weeks. And, oh what a feeling!

This book with the sassy (maybe they are just southern) title was written by Joanie Demer and Heather Wheeler of thekrazycouponlady. These ladies are so cute and enthusiastic about the process. Disclosure - I have not read this book so I can't say it's a "must have" for your Homemaker's Library. (Although, I must say, it does have great reviews at Amazon.) I am hopeful that we might be able to obtain a copy at our public library someday soon. 

As a homemaker (who is hunting for a part-time gig to support my list of wants), I believe that I am contributing to our family's bottom line and quality of life as I obtain regular and needed items at a fraction of the usual cost. When one saves moneyover here, she has funds for over there.

Children learn about needs vs. wants in lower elementary school in our county's public school system. As I see it, "needs" are those things that are required for survival whereas "wants" are things that are strongly desired for emotional reasons. (OK. I just made up those definitions. Still, I think that's pretty good.) My "wants" more often than not fall in to the "services" or "experiences" category more than goods. For me, my quality of life increases with a bit of pampering and doing things that are out of my ordinary. Here's a good worksheet for beginners - and newlyweds:) - Need vs. Wants Worksheet @ SmartAboutMoney.org.

Now, I am watching what store is doubling or even tripling coupons. I've learned that coupons and "rewards" are available to help me to conserve my funds for more of the needs and occasional splurges for those wants. I'm learning to organize my little envelope of coupons and to actually watch the cashiers ring to make sure I get my best and accurate price. Scanning errors happen frequently and seemingly always in the store's favor. It's crazy. While I don't expect to be one of the lady's with the big binder who's pushing two carts filled with pasta and toothpaste (because there is no way to do that elegantly), I do expect to a few more "services" and "experiences" to come my way. Meanwhile, my next goal is to have a receipt that shows that I saved more than I paid at a grocery, pharmacy or discount store.

So today, I proudly proclaim - channeling President John F. Kennedy's Boston Accent and passion during his Ich bin ein Berliner "I am a Berliner" speech from June 26, 1963 when JFK spoke in Germany but a little more quietly - I am a Couponer.

No comments:

Post a Comment