Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Is Law School for Chumps?

One of the phrases I use in parenting my boys is "fill in the blank is for chumps." I have explained that a chump is someone who is easily convinced that something that's obnoxious or ridiculous is somehow cool, good, or right - I.e. "Face tattoos are for chumps." "Smoking is for chumps." "Cheating is for chumps." You get it. So do they. And they understand that mummy doesn't think they are chumps; so, she is dismayed when chump-like behavior is displayed. Although, I have to say that the other day, I overheard my 7 year old say that something was for "chums" and his older brother chuckled and corrected him.

I just read an interesting article at The New York Times called Are Law Schools and Bar Exams Necessary?  The piece brings into question whether actual schools accredited by the American Bar Association (which is basically a trade association for JDs) and the infamous Bar Exam (tool used to validate knowledge that should have been present when the JD was conferred by the law school) are really necessary to make sure that lawyers have the skills, talent and ability to serve US citizens. You can imagine the costs associated with schools, the exam and the profit-making enterprises (i.e., classes, books, training/review courses, tutoring services, etc.) surrounding both of these entities no matter what actual earning potential exists at any given time.

As you may recall from earlier posts/references, I am so the "wannabe law student." I want to be a lawyer. (It bears repeating - a lawyer NOT an attorney, mind you.) However at this time in my life (mid-40s, elementary-aged children, minimal cash flow), attending law school is simply not feasible. Which is really too bad - not just for me personally but for the greater good.

There are several "recovering attorneys" in the blogosphere as well as in the real world whom I have encountered. Many seem to find the work (research, reading, analyzing and writing) boring. I think this may be because they may extroverts who would prefer to be engaged with people either in meetings or in court. Maybe they don't really have an passion for simply helping others for the sake of helping others. Maybe their parents insisted on the pursuit of the J.D. and they didn't know how to say no. Maybe it was the scholarship they received and figured that they couldn't waste the offer. Could be anything. In any case, they seemed to have completed the requirement for reasons other than a thirst for learning about law and how to use it to serve and protect citizens.  In my heart of hearts, that is what I have. It is something I would do for the rest of my life.

My grade point average when I graduated from college with my bachelors degree in English was not horrible (full disclosure - it wasn't off the charts stellar either). Still, I loved the reading, the analysis, the writing (no surprise there). As a hobby and lifestyle, I have long had an interest in helping those less fortunate or disenfranchised. How I wished I had married those two passions and pursued the Juris Doctorate back in my twenties. Honestly, I don't want to necessarily get rich litigating and arguing cases. That is so NOT for me. Well the getting rich part, I'd take. The litigating and arguing, not so much. I'd rather enjoy the comforts of an easy and elegant life whilst protecting myself and others from financial predators or mistakes.

Not that I believe the J.D. is the be all-end all. Sure anyone can study (read/learn about) the law; and, I don't want to reiterate what I've already said on the matter. May I just say -
Image courtesy of art.com.

"Lord, please put me out of this misery and longing.
Either take away the desire;
or, show me the solution/resources that would make this dream a reality."

Meanwhile, I'd better go out and buy a pumpkin so my second grader can decorate it tonight. He has chosen Harry the Dirty Dog for his entry into the Storybook Pumpkin Contest at school. I'm thinking with a little pumpkin, some white paper, clear tape, a black marker and an empty irish oatmeal can, he will be golden. Also, must finalize costumes.

By the way, don't tell the boys; but, Halloween is for chumps.

10/31/11 - Update: Here is my lad's entry.


I caught a glimpse of some of the entry's and several were incredible - literally - incredible. My son did the lion's share of work on his entry and I am proud of his effort whilst he is proud of the little ribbon he earned for participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment