Saturday, October 8, 2011

Legible Tees - How to Wear with Style

A fantastic opportunity has come my way. I may soon begin working a part-time job at a really wonderful place - particularly for this mom who has been carrying too much weight in the middle (and the bottom) to be considered healthy or pleasing to my eye.

There is a fitness center in my town. This center has a babysitting service (in the way that IKEA has SmÃ¥land) for children between the ages of 6 months and 12 years. Members of the center are allowed to drop their children for up to two hours while they exercise. Employees are also allowed to drop their children there (rarely more than 4 hours). There is also a pre-school attached for which I was asked to be a "substitute."


I interviewed earlier this week and (fingers crossed) I will begin working there very soon. In addition to earning some pocket money, the major perks are 1.) if I work more than 8 hours a week, I get FREE membership as do my children (my darling husband would pay about $30 per month and, 2.) I can bring my children to work with me any time and every time if I want or need to which is uh-mazing since I still don't have a proper regular babysitter nor have I family members in the area.


Great opportunity for a mother of two right? But here's the rub, there is a uniform which involves a t-shirt with writing on it. I immediately thought of Paul Fussell's Class - which I first read about 20 years ago - and his dissertation which mirrors my opinion on clothes that have writing on them. If you've never read this classic tome, I totally recommend it. Tres funny. It rather reminds me of Lisa Birnbach, et al's The Original Preppy Handbook in the way it is written. And they were published around the same time, too.



So, here I am a shortish, rubenesque lady being offered the chance of free gym membership. I'm going to have to take it. But, how can I walk in with my head held high if I feel all slovenly. I am trying to figure out how to pull off this look without looking ridiculous or like I'm trying to hard. I just want to look neat and appropriate and nice and not feel like a slob (if you'll pardon the expression).

I would feel like the female version of the guy on the far right. Ugh!
Image courtesy of Three Quarks Daily


I think it takes a certain type of woman in her forties to be able to look right in tee shirt that has writing across the chest. That type of woman would be slim and a bit less endowed bustwise. As stated, at present, I am neither. I can't wear accessories (babies, you know) nor should I wear layers (too bulky).


By the way, on the bottom, I can't make myself wear the obligatory jeans, khakis or yoga pants. My bum is just too dang big. I'm a skirt and dress wearer unless an activity (skiing, riding horses, trips to the farm, camping, etc.) demands it.


And I do understand and agree that parents, co-workers and children must be able to immediately recognize the employees of the center. I completely get that this is a uniform for work and not an article of "fashion" clothing with some random (or not so random)saying, logo or advertisement. I just need to work out how I am going to be able to do it with flair.

I'd ask Muffy at The Daily Prep; but, I'm pretty sure even she wouldn't have the answer for a fluffy gal such as I.

What about sewing on a lace peter pan (round) collar and adding small shoulder pads? What about taking it to a seamstress to change the ribbed crewneck into a ballet neckline and belting it with a Vera Bradley belt? Too much? But seriously, is it even possible for one to do this in a dignified way?

Edited on 10/21/11 to remove some details about the workplace (sorry about that -   confidentiality matters).

No comments:

Post a Comment